Parent governor representatives sought for children’s committee
Tuesday, 13 July 2021
We're seeking nominees for two replacement volunteer parent governor representatives roles on our Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
Nominations for the posts are being sought from all parent governors of academies and special schools within Central Bedfordshire.
Candidates are required to self-nominate, and parent governors are eligible in any school phase (lower, primary, middle, secondary or upper), special school or academy.
Our Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee scrutinises performance, considers children’s services policy and offers comments that inform the our Executive in making decisions.
It is one of four overview and scrutiny committees which are responsible for reviewing service delivery and performance, helping to develop our policy and making recommendations to our Executive. Its role includes overseeing the Executive’s education functions.
The role of a parent governor representative is to:
- act as a non-political voice for parents in the area; representing to us the main education issues which concern parents of pupils maintained by us
- liaise with the other parent governor representatives on their own local authority
- attend and contribute to the meetings of the Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee, and any working group meetings that might be set up by that committee, to which they may be appointed as a representative
- establish good relations with other members of the Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee and our officers
- feed back our discussions and decisions made on education to the parents
- abide by our rules on committee procedures (the Constitution)
- act with due propriety according to standards laid down for the conduct of Councillors and co-opted members in local government
The closing date for nominations is 4pm on 30 July 2021 and, in the event of there being more than one candidate from each of the schools, an election will begin on 2 August 2021 with a closing date of 4pm on 28 August 2021. The successful candidates will be appointed until 30 April 2023.
The Children’s Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee meets during the day, roughly every eight weeks, usually at Priory House, in Chicksands. The first meeting successful candidates would be required to attend is 7 September 2021 but, if an election is necessary, the successful candidates would attend their first meeting on 16 November 2021.
Although the parent governor representatives are voluntary positions, they will receive a meetings allowance of £75 for up to four hours or £150 for more than four hours, together with travel expenses.