Get into Teaching
Get into Teaching is a government-backed initiative funded by the Teaching Agency, which promotes a career in teaching in the areas of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Language, Biology and Geography at secondary level. It promotes a career in teaching to employees who are considering a career change, taking an extended sabbatical, seeking early retirement, or facing company restructure / redundancy.
As you may be aware, teaching has changed, and it has never been a more popular career choice for top graduates. Bursaries of up to £30,000 are available for training, salary rates in teaching are extremely competitive and progression to management positions can be rapid. Get into Teaching recruits gifted people from a wide range of backgrounds and at all stages in their lives and careers.
People who are considering changing their careers are particularly valued for the experience they bring to teaching of life outside the classroom.
Get into Teaching offers new opportunities that are designed to appeal particularly to people changing career. These include:
- school-led training programmes - a route which allows people to train in the classroom
- university-led training programmes
- Premier Plus support for those interested in teaching, which includes 1:1 advice and guidance from an advisor on becoming a teacher
- regional and local events where people can find out about teaching opportunities where they live
Every Get into Teaching participant will be able to receive a comprehensive package of support consisting of:
- support from Professional Development Advisers throughout the programme, including in the term following graduation from the programme
- a personalised support plan, running alongside their initial teacher training
- attendance at events relating to professional development needs
- access to a range of regional networking events throughout the duration of the programme
- confidence that the guidance and advice provided through the Get into Teaching programme complements and builds upon that received through ITT course tutors, and that participants are well supported and prepared for their first teaching post
Get into Teaching also co-operates closely with the National Careers Service to ensure that the individuals they support are aware of the rewards that a teaching career can bring. These services can also support organisations that have employees considering a career change to teaching.
The helpline number is 0800 3892500, and this is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. For more information, please visit the Get into Teaching (link opens in new window) website.