Empty homes review
We review the empty Council Tax properties in Central Bedfordshire annually, to support the government’s initiative to tackle the national shortfall in available housing. This year’s review is being managed on our behalf by Capacitygrid. If your property is selected for review, we'll write to you and ask you to complete a review online. You don't need to complete a review unless you're asked to.
If you’ve received a letter telling you that your empty property is being reviewed, please complete your review online. It will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. You will need to enter the following details from your letter:
- property reference number
- update passcode
- property postcode
Complete your empty homes review
If you've lost your review letter
Please call Capacitygrid on 0300 303 2076. Lines are open Monday to Friday, between 8:45am and 5pm.
About Council Tax on empty homes
The Council Tax bill for an empty and substantially unfurnished home is 100% of the occupied charge, plus:
- an extra 100% charge if your property has been empty for 2 years or more (200% of the occupied charge in total), or
- an extra 200% charge if your property has been empty for 5 years or more (300% of the occupied charge in total)
You don’t have to pay the extra charge for:
- properties which would otherwise be the sole or main residence of a person who is living in Ministry of Defence accommodation due to their employment
- unoccupied annexes which are being used by the occupier of the main dwelling as part of that dwelling
Some empty properties are exempt from Council Tax, which means you don’t have to pay any Council Tax for them. Check our empty homes premium information to find out more about the empty homes charge exemptions and how to get help with your empty property.