Council Tax - change your details | Central Bedfordshire Council

Council Tax - change your details

Moving home - changes to Council Tax

If you’re moving home, you will need to tell the council at the address you’re leaving, and register for Council Tax at your new address.

You can report your change to us online.

Tell us you've changed your address

We won’t share your details with any other council – if you also need to report your change to another council, you can find your local council on GOV.UK (link opens in new window).

You can also report your move to us by:

Telephone: 0300 300 8306

You can contact us by post at the address below, or in person at any of our Customer Service Centres.

Please quote your Council Tax account reference in all correspondence – your account reference is 8 or 9 digits long and starts with a 4, 7 or 8. You can find it on your Council Tax bill or any letter we’ve sent about your Council Tax.

If you need to write to us, our address is:

Customer Accounts (Council Tax)
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House

What happens next?

If you’re moving inside of Central Bedfordshire

  • we will usually transfer your current Council Tax account to your new address
  • if you have paid too much or too little Council Tax at your old address, we will send you a new bill for each address
  • we can transfer your Direct Debit payment details from your old address, so that you do not have to set up a new arrangement

If you’re moving outside of Central Bedfordshire

  • we need to know the date you’re moving out, and your forwarding address
  • if you’ve paid too much Council Tax, we will send a refund to your new address

Please note: If you are moving to a newly-built property, the Valuation Office Agency need to decide your Council Tax band before we are able to confirm your Council Tax bill. If you want to make provisional payments before your property is banded, please let us know.