Independent living | Central Bedfordshire Council

Independent living

Thanks to advances in medicine and more active lifestyles, our population of older residents looks set to grow over the coming decades and we are building state of the art accommodation to help people to live independently, with the social and care services they need on hand.

We have invested in two schemes to date.

The proposals are part of a bigger plan to make sure we have the right sort of housing available for our older residents, most of whom want to live in their own homes for as long as possible.

The Brook (Houghton Regis)

The Brook - Windsor Drive, Houghton Regis: The Brook is a new build development in Windsor Drive, Houghton Regis. It is a 20 unit transitional housing scheme, which includes three flats for disabled people, and will house those in housing need. It will include communal facilities including a kitchen, living/dining area, laundry and a private garden area.

Priory View (Dunstable)

Priory View, in Dunstable - opened in 2016.

All Saints View (Houghton Regis)

All Saints View, in Houghton Regis - a scheme which will be based on land of the former Co-Operative store and surrounding area.

Greenfields (Leighton Buzzard)

Aldwyck Housing Association has opened a similar scheme - Greenfields, in Leighton Buzzard.

Quince Court (Sandy)

Grand Union Housing Group has the following scheme, Quince Court, in Sandy. This will have 25 new apartments for renting through us.

The scheme is due to open in September 2021 and the application process is due to open in May 2021.

View or download Quince Court brochure (PDF).

Flexible care

Having flexible care services available on site will give residents and their families the peace of mind that their new homes will give them the right balance of privacy and independence, with the support they need. There will also be a real focus on social activity with lots of shared space for both residents and the community.

Independent living application and self-assessment form

All of our independent living apartments are currently allocated. However, if you would like to be considered for a resale or re-let you may find the information below helpful before making your application:

  • if you are successful in receiving a written offer you will be required to sell any existing home(s)
  • the eligibility criteria will be checked before you would receive an offer
  • you will be subject to a credit check
  • you will need to speak with an independent financial adviser
  • if you are successful in your application you will be placed on a waiting list until we have a vacancy
  • you may receive a call from the care team who will visit you to do a home inspection to assess your current care needs
  • whilst you wait to hear from us, whether you are successful or not, you are welcome to visit Priory View and use the café or join in with the activities etc.

You will need to complete the application and self-assessment form. Once you complete and submit the independent living application form you will be sent a letter to confirm that your application has been received. You will then be placed on the waiting list for your chosen scheme and we will contact you if we require further information from you or if you are being considered for a property.

Important information about independent living

Will there be stamp duty?

Yes. Stamp duty will be payable on the share which you buy (at the rate applicable).

Can I sell my apartment to my family if I decide to move out?

No. The property will need to be sold to someone who meets the eligibility criteria on the councils waiting list.

If Central Bedfordshire Council buys my apartment back, at what price do they buy it?

It will be purchased at the Current Market Value which is defined in the lease.

Will I have to pay Council Tax?

Yes. You will pay the Council Tax.

What is the minimum share that I can buy?

The minimum share that you can purchase is 25%.

Why can’t I buy more than 75%?

The schemes are designed to ensure that there is always affordable independent living available in the area.

Can I apply for a mortgage to help me to buy the property?

You should be able to do this. For further information, you will need to seek advice from an Independent Financial Advisor who will be able to advise you about your ability to secure a mortgage.

Can my children buy my apartment for me?


Can I still claim housing benefit?

You may need to check with the Housing Benefit team to see if you are eligible to claim.

What does the service charge cover?

Costs associated with maintaining the communal areas including fire alarms, emergency lighting, communal cleaning, gardening and building insurance.

Will costs be reviewed?

Yes, the costs will be reviewed annually and information will be sent to the residents in advance of any changes.

Are meals included in the service charge?

No. The apartments have their own kitchen.

How old do I have to be to move into Priory View?

The minimum age is 55.

Will there be disabled access?

Yes, the schemes have been designed with this in mind. All areas should be accessible for those with a disability.

Can I bring my pet?

Yes, subject to the residents full understanding of the pet policy and adhering to it.

Can my family and friends stay over?

Yes, should you need a bit more room, there will be a guest suite (pre-bookable for a small charge).

Will I have my own parking space?

There is no allocated parking, as the car park will be for the use of all residents and their visitors.

Will the scheme be wheelchair friendly?

Yes, it is designed for ease of access

Do the apartments have a bath?

No, they all have a shower. However, three of the floors have a separate bathroom with an assisted bath for residents to use.

If you have any queries or need any help applying, please contact our housing solutions team on 0300 300 8302.

Complete application and self assessment form