Highways Team - what we do, information and news

Personal injury claim on highways

If a defect in the highway causes an accident, you may be able to claim reimbursement if you can prove that we have failed in our statutory duties.

Legally, for a claim to succeed it is necessary to first prove that the highway was dangerous because it had not been appropriately maintained, and second for the highway authority to be unable to show that it took all reasonable steps to ensure it was safe.

If you wish to make a claim

To make a claim you will need to contact us to request a Public Liability Claim form. For personal injury claims please provide your national insurance number, date of birth and details of earnings if your claim involves loss of earnings. We will seek permission to access your medical records.

If you want to make a claim, please do it in writing and provide the following information:

  • exact location sketch and map
  • date, time and weather conditions
  • details of damage / loss / injury
  • photographs
  • details of witnesses (if any)
  • invoices

Once your claim is received we will:

  • log the claim and forward to our nominated external claims handlers who will acknowledge receipt within 21 calendar days
  • aim to respond within 13 weeks. However, this can increase during peak periods where the claim receipts are higher; such as following extreme weather events or winter months
  • reply stating whether liability is denied and, if so, give reasons supported by any available disclosable documents we intend to rely upon
  • if liability is admitted - a decision on compensation will be made and you will notified

For further information, please contact:

Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk
SG17 5TQ

Telephone: 0300 300 8015
Email: insurance@centralbedfordshire.gov.uk