What is Tell Us Once
Tell Us Once is a free service offered by the government.
When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them.
Tell Us Once is voluntary, free and very helpful. It enables you to report a death only once, telling central and local government services securely and confidentially without you having to inform them individually.
Many services can be notified, and these include:
- The Council - to update services such as council housing, Housing Benefit, Council Tax, Blue Badge and to remove the person from the electoral register
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to update benefits information for example: State Pension, Universal Credit
- Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to five vehicles
- Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes - to update pension records
How do I use the service?
- The registrar will provide you with a unique Tell Us Once reference number via email
- Visit GOV.UK and use this reference number which will enable you to access the service
- Alternatively, call 0800 085 7308
If you have been issued with an Interim Death Certificate you may still be able to use the service. Please contact the Coroner’s Office to assist you further.
- Permission is required from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator and anyone who was claiming benefits or entitlements jointly with the person who died, before you give their details
- Tell Us Once is not a claim to benefit, therefore please read about the benefits you could claim from us or contact GOV.UK
- Once the various agencies informed by Tell Us Once have received notification of the death, they will make any further contact if necessary with the bereaved family
- Tell Us Once does not notify any commercial organisations of the death and cannot arrange for redirection of post