Marriages, civil partnerships and celebratory services

Useful marriage / civil partnership information

Welcome to your ceremony in Central Bedfordshire (PDF 2.6MB) .

This essential guide helps you plan your celebration and make your day a special one.

Inside you will find information relating to the legal formalities required prior to your marriage or civil partnership registration, plus details of celebratory services.

You will also find details of premises licensed to hold civil marriages / partnership registrations in Central Bedfordshire, plus our own approved premises.

Organising your day

Here are some ideas for you to consider. You may wish to include music in your ceremony, which can be played at appropriate moments during the ceremony such as while the guests are arriving or during the signing of the register / schedule.

For couples marrying, there are certain words prescribed by law (the contracting and declaratory words) which you must say. For couples wanting a civil partnership registration there is no requirement for you to make contracting or declaratory words but there is a choice of words that you may wish to say.


We have a selection of readings (PDF 313.2KB) which you can choose from. Alternatively, you can supply your own reading.

Getting married abroad

You will almost certainly be required to provide certain documents and in some instances a certificate of no impediment that is available from the register office. Your travel agent will be able to assist you in the first instance.