Terms and conditions for marriages and civil partnerships
Civil marriage and civil partnership ceremony bookings
Your ceremony booking is accepted on condition that:
- no legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and legal preliminaries are completed within statutory time limits
- any foreign divorce/dissolution papers are accepted by the Registrar General where applicable
- the ceremony fee is paid
- the requested date and time of the ceremony is available
Right to cancel
You have the right to cancel any contract made online or over the phone within 14 days without giving any reason.
Under the Consumer Contracts (Information Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 you have the right to cancel your appointment and receive a full refund of the fee you have paid to us if you do so within fourteen days.
To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us of your decision to cancel this contract either by post or email. If you inform us of a cancellation electronically, we will acknowledge receipt.
To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to have sent your communication concerning your wish to exercise the right to cancel, before the cancellation period has expired.
We will make the reimbursement without undue delay, and not later than 14 days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel this contract.
We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have paid by cash and then a cheque refund will be given. In any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of the reimbursement.
The ceremony fee is payable at the time of booking, whether in person or via telephone contact. The ceremony fee will include the statutory fee for one certificate.
If you wish to move the date of your ceremony at least 30 days’ notice must be provided. If you do not provide at least 30 days’ notice any ceremony fees paid will be lost and a fresh booking will need to be made. It may also be necessary for you to give fresh Notices as these are specific to your chosen venue and are only valid for one year.
Cancellation of booking by couple
Any ceremony payments made will be subject to the following refund schedule:
- more than six months before the ceremony date - you will receive a full refund of the ceremony and certificate fees paid
- between six months and 3 months before the ceremony date - you will receive a 75% refund of the ceremony fees plus all certificate fees paid
- between three months and 30 day before the ceremony date - you will receive a 50% refund of the ceremony fees plus all certificate fees paid
- less than 30 days before the ceremony or failure to cancel in writing before the ceremony date – we will only refund certificate fees paid. We will not refund any ceremony fees
Please note - the Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership fee is non-refundable.
We will provide the ceremony.
- marriage or civil partnership ceremonies are delivered at an approved venue of your choice
- the content of the ceremony has a range of additional options that need to be agreed with us in advance of the ceremony
- marriage or civil partnership registrations delivered at our venues are subject to specific booking conditions and availability
- some elements of a marriage or civil partnership registration are prescribed by law and are not subject to customisation
- we reserve the right to make the final decision on any wording used and will not accept liability for any omission, which may be caused by reasons beyond our control
- we encourage you to personalise the ceremony with your own choice of readings, music and additional vows – subject to the ceremony content remaining appropriate and dignified
- there must be no religious content whatsoever
- all choices for music, readings, vows and any other content spoken by someone other than our registrars must be submitted to us for approval at least two weeks prior to the ceremony to email@example.com
We will allocate registrars to attend your ceremony and reserves the right to substitute other experienced and qualified staff in case of sickness or other unforeseen circumstances on the day.
For fire, safety and comfort the number of persons must not exceed the published licensed capacity of the room. Additional guests will not be able to remain in the ceremony room.
Late start of a ceremony
We will not accept any liability where a ceremony is postponed on the day due to the late arrival of the couple and / or any guests. We reserve the right to take appropriate action to ensure other ceremonies our staff need to attend are delivered at the agreed time. It may not be possible for the ceremony to be re-arranged for later the same day, so it have to be re-arranged for another day.
Should we find that we have been unavoidably delayed, we undertake to contact the venue to let them know of the situation and an expected arrival time.
Telephone: 0300 300 8089