Register a death

Documents to register a death

The medical certificate issued by the doctor or hospital must be brought to the appointment to register a death.

When attending to register you will be asked questions regarding names, dates, addresses and places, which will feed into the register entry.

To help ensure the accuracy of the information recorded it would be useful if you could bring supporting documentation with you (for example passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth and marriage certificates).

Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the death.

Examples of acceptable documents relating to the deceased:

  • their birth certificate
  • passport (if applicable)
  • NHS medical card
  • proof of address (for example a utility bill)
  • all marriage / civil partnership certificates (if applicable)
  • deed poll (if applicable)

Supporting documents relating to the informant:

We will also need the informant's name and address. Please provide the following documents:

  • your passport
  • your driving licence
  • proof of your address, for example a utility bill

We will ask you:

  • when and where did the death occur
  • the name and address of the deceased person
  • if the deceased was a woman who has been married, her maiden name
  • the deceased's date and place of birth
  • their occupation
  • if the deceased was married or widowed, the full name and occupation of the spouse
  • if married, the date of birth of the surviving spouse
  • if the deceased was in a civil partnership, the name, date of birth and occupation of the partner

If you are having a Tell Us Once (link opens in new window) appointment, please follow the link for further information.

The Registrar will give you:

  • a green form to be given to the funeral director if the coroner has not already issued a cremation form
  • a white BD8 form to be completed and sent by you, with any benefit or pension details to the Department of Work and Pensions.

The white and green forms are issued free of charge.