Flooding and flood risk management

Land drainage consent

Work near or that discharges into watercourses may require land drainage consent.

  • the Environment Agency is responsible for consent relating to main rivers. In Central Bedfordshire main rivers include the River Ivel, Hit, Flit, Clipstone Brook and part of the River Ouzel and are shown on the agency’s interactive maps
  • the Bedford Group of Drainage Boards is responsible for consenting on ordinary watercourses (ordinary watercourses are streams, drains and ditches and passages through which water flows that do not form part of the main river). You can call them on 01234 767995, or email at contact@idbs.org.uk

We recommend you contact these as early as possible to determine whether your proposals require consent. They can also advise on what to include with your application and which other organisations you may need to consult.

Where a breach of consent is found we may take enforcement action.