Design Guide for planning (adopted in 2014)
Our current Design Guide was adopted on 18 March 2014 as technical guidance for development management purposes.
It sets out the key principles and standards to ensure the delivery of high quality design in Central Bedfordshire.
It is a material consideration in the determination of planning applications and should be used to guide all types of new development in Central Bedfordshire.
The Design Guide consists of one core document, placemaking principles, and 8 accompanying themed supplements.
- Placemaking in Central Bedfordshire (PDF 7.2MB)
- Green Infrastructure, Climate Change Adaptation and Sustainable Buildings (PDF 4.5MB)
- The Historic Environment (PDF 5.7MB)
- Public Realm (PDF 3.5MB)
- Residential Development (PDF 3.1MB)
- Accommodating Specific Housing Needs (PDF 4MB)
- Householder Alterations and Extensions (PDF); Addendum to supplement 7 (PDF)
- Larger Footprint Buildings (PDF 1.6MB)
- Town Centre Vitality (PDF 2.9MB)
- Movement and Streets, superseded by the Highway Construction Standards and Specifications Guide