Trade waste and recycling services
Thorn Turn Household Waste Recycling Centre (tidy tip) is the only site in Central Bedfordshire that offers a 'pay by the weight', cost-effective recycling and waste disposal service to traders.
Do I need to book a slot?
You do not need to book a slot to visit. You can just turn up. There may be a queue to enter the site. Site staff will advise you of what to do when you arrive.
What measures are there to protect customers at Thorn Turn?
We're taking the following measures at the site:
- site staff are practising additional hygiene measures
- social distancing must be adhered to on site
- there will be a strict limit on the number of vehicles permitted on site at one time
- to avoid unnecessary contact you will only be able to pay by card
- your waste transfer note will be emailed to you where possible, rather than giving you a paper copy
- gloves and hand sanitiser will be provided if required
There are no height restrictions but there is a vehicle weight limit of 3.5 tonnes. We can’t accommodate larger vehicles. The following vehicles will not be permitted access to the site:
- any vehicle with more than 4 wheels
- any trailer more than 1.8m long or 1.2m wide
- any twin axel trailer / tipper
The facility is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm, excluding bank holidays.
How much does it cost and how can I pay?
Types and quantities of waste are governed by site rules, our policy, and the on-site permit. All rates and materials are subject to change.
Traders are required to pay the 'weight' after the waste has been deposited.
|Weight||Garden waste||Hardcore and rubble||Wood and timber||Plasterboard||Scrap metal||Mixed paper and card||Mixed textiles and clothes||General waste|
|Up to 80kg||£5||£4||£10||£13||Free||Free||Free||£18.72|
|81kg to 150kg||£11.50||£10||£25||£32.50||Free||Free||Free||£37.44|
|151kg to 250kg||£16.10||£14||£35||£45.50||Free||Free||Free||£56.16|
|251kg to 500kg||£25.30||£22||£55||£71.50||Free||Free||Free||£82.08|
|501kg to 750kg||£34.50||£30||£75||£97.50||Free||Free||Free||£108|
|751kg to 1000kg||£46||£40||£100||£130||Free||Free||Free||£134|
|Over 1000kg (per tonne, pro rata increase of 0.5)||£46||£40||£100||£130||Free||Free||Free||£144|
All rates are inclusive of VAT. Payment can only be made on-site by the following debit or credit cards: Barclaycard, Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Maestro and Apple Pay. We cannot accept cash payments.
What information and documents do I need to provide?
A member of staff will ask you to provide a valid waste carriers licence. This is a legal requirement and any trader/business could be issued with a fine of up to £5,000 if it not registered. To obtain a licence, please apply on the government's website.
When visiting the site, we will need the following information so that we can complete a waste transfer note:
- type of waste
- type of premises where waste is produced
- how it is contained
- quantity of waste
- name of person depositing the waste
- name and address of company
- address waste was collected from
- waste carrier licence number
- vehicle registration number
- date and time of transfer
We’ll give you a copy of the waste transfer note. Please keep this for your own records.