Independent advocacy

Using advocacy - local organisations

It may be likely that you already have, or are likely to need, an adult care service.

For example, you may:

  • have learning difficulties / disabilities
  • have mental health problems, including those affecting older people
  • have physical disabilities or a sensory impairment
  • be a carer of people listed above

When you may need the service:

  • when we’re assessing or reviewing your care needs
  • if a service is withdrawn or reduced
  • if you have a conflict with us or with your carer
  • when you’re discharged from, or admitted to, a home or day centre
  • if you want to make a complaint to us
  • if you’re a young carer

You can also get informal advocacy from some community and faith groups.

What can an Advocate do?

An Advocate can:

  • listen to you
  • help you to plan any action you may need or wish to take
  • write letters and make telephone calls with you, or for you
  • ensure your views are heard by attending meetings / reviews with you
  • obtain information for you, or put you in touch with someone who can
  • spend time with you preparing for meetings
  • investigate alternative sources of support

Find a local organisation

You can contact the following agencies who will be able to guide you further:

VoiceAbility advocacy services

VoiceAbility is one of the UK’s largest providers of advocacy services and can support people to be heard in decisions about their health, care and wellbeing. To find out more, visit VoiceAbility's website, call 0300 303 1660 or email