Stopping smoking will always be beneficial to your health and it’s never too late to quit. Once you’ve stopped smoking you’ll start to see the benefits very quickly:
- 20 minutes - your blood pressure and pulse will return to normal
- 8 hours – nicotine is reduced by 90% and carbon monoxide levels in the blood are reduced by 75%
- 24 hours - your lungs start to clear; carbon monoxide and nicotine are almost eliminated from the body
- 48 hours – all traces of nicotine are removed from the body, damaged nerve endings will start to regrow, smell and taste will begin to return to normal
- 1 month – skin appearance improves, losing grey pallor and become less wrinkled
- 1 year – the risk of heart attack reduces by half
Our Stop Smoking Service helps local people stop smoking.
The service offers:
- group sessions
- one to one sessions
- telephone support
- specialist pregnancy support
We hold clinics at a wide range of venues, including:
- health centres
- GP surgeries
- community centres
Stop smoking advisors offer a free, non-judgemental and supportive service.
For more information or to book an appointment, please call the team on 0800 013 0553 and press 1 for Central Bedfordshire or refer yourself online.
Other organisations that will be able to help you: