Ukrainian refugees - information for housing tenants in a secure tenancy or fixed term tenancy

We are all aware of the tragic situation in Ukraine at this moment. Over two million people have been displaced as they seek refuge from the war.

On 14 March, the government announced the ‘Homes for Ukraine' refugee scheme to help some of these refugees find temporary homes by offering £350 per month to those with spare rooms to provide a safe place for Ukrainian refugees. We have received many requests from housing tenants who are interested in welcoming a refugee into their homes.

If you hold a Secure Tenancy or a Fixed Term Tenancy with Central Bedfordshire Council, have a spare room you don’t use and make an expression of interest to house a Ukrainian refugee on the government website, you must email your Estates Management Officer to let them know at

Find out more about supporting Ukrainian refugees and being a sponsor.

More information is on the GOV.UK website - Homes for Ukraine scheme: frequently asked questions.

If you feel you are not able to commit to offering a space in your home and would still like to help, you can make a donation via the Disasters Emergency Committee.