Becoming a school governor
There are some important restrictions on who can become a school governor.
To be a governor you must not be subject to a bankruptcy restriction order, an interim bankruptcy restriction order, a debt relief order or an interim debt relief order. You must not have not had your estate sequestrated unless the sequestration order has been discharged, annulled or reduced.
You must not be subject to:
- a disqualification order or undertaking under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 (link opens in new window)
- a disqualification order under the Companies (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 (link opens in new window)
- a disqualification undertaking accepted under the Company Directors Disqualification (Northern Ireland) Order 2002 (link opens in new window)
- an order made under Section 429(2)(b) (link opens in new window) of the Insolvency Act 1986 (link opens in new window)
You must not have been removed from the office of charity trustee by the Charity Commissioners or High Court on grounds of misconduct or mismanagement, or under Section 34 (link opens in new window) of the Charities and Trustees Investment (Scotland) Act 2005 from participating in the management or control of any body.
You must not:
- be included in the list of people considered by the Secretary of State as unsuitable to work with children
- be disqualified from working with children or subject to a direction under Section 142 (link opens in new window) of the Education Act 2002
- be disqualified from registration for childminding or providing day care or under Part 3 of the Childcare Act 2006 (link opens in new window)
- have received a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period 3 months or more in the 5 years before becoming a governor, or since becoming a governor
- have received a prison sentence of 2 and a half years or more in the 20 years before becoming a governor, or a prison sentence of 5 years or more at any time
- have been fined for causing a nuisance or disturbance on school premises during the 5 years prior to or since appointment or election as a governor
If you are interested in becoming a governor, please contact the Governor Support Office on 0300 300 8105.