Flood risk management - our responsibilities
Under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 (link opens in new window), we are the Lead Local Flood Authority for our area; we are responsible for:
- developing and maintaining a Local Flood Risk Management Strategy (PDF 2.2MB)
- maintaining a register of physical features that have a ‘significant’ effect on flooding in our area
- investigating incidents of local flooding – we will publish the results of an investigation where this is considered 'significant'
- promoting sustainable development – this includes sustainable drainage approaches on new developments
- regulating works on ordinary watercourses – we issue consent and take enforcement action
- designating structures and features that effect flooding – this requires the owner of a designated feature to seek consent from the authority to alter, remove or replace it
- co-ordinating flood risk management across our area
Call 999 in an emergency. To report a flood incident or a situation which you think may result in flooding, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (this is not 24 hour contact). Please report public road flooding to the highways team (link opens in new window).
We have further drainage responsibilities under the Act as a Highway Authority.