Tenancy support officers help tenants sustain their tenancies.
Tenants are referred to us for a variety of reasons:
- someone having trouble managing their money leading to rent arrears and they may benefit from some debt management advice
- the property is messy or repair work has not been carried out
- contractors cannot get in to carry out essential maintenance on a property
- accommodation is no longer appropriate for them and they need help to move to a more suitable property, such as a larger, smaller, or a more accessible home or sheltered housing
- a person is struggling to cope with several things and could be classed as vulnerable and in need of support and guidance
How we can help
We can help guide you to manage your income, and give advice on debt repayments.
Where there are cases of debt that need more in-depth work, we can refer you to Citizen’s Advice or other accredited debt management charities.
We can source professional help from organisations such as the Community Mental Health Team or social services.
Where other support could be beneficial, we can refer to other agencies, such as the Community Alcohol Network, or occupational therapy.
We can provide help with accessing the housing register and help you to move to a more suitable property.
Put simply, we help you to maintain your tenancy, to reduce the risk of you losing your home.
Contact the Tenancy Support team
If you need our support, you will need to be referred to us. Please speak to a council officer or other council professional who will carry out the referral.
If you do not know who to speak to, please call 0300 300 8302.
Many organisations offer free and impartial advice on debt problems. Below are a list of organisations that can help:
StepChange offer impartial debt advice, information about bailiffs, debt solutions and expert bankruptcy help, all completely free of charge.
Take StepChange's online debt test (link opens in new window), or call 0800 138 11 11 to speak to someone in confidence.
For more information on bankruptcy and insolvency, visit the GOV.UK insolvency service (link opens in new window).
Alternatively, call the Debtadvice UK Freephone helpline: 0800 074 6918 (open 24 hours).
Download our guides for more information
Letters to creditors
Free independent advice
Local organisations offering advice on debt and other issues
Shelter (link opens in new window) (the housing and homeless charity offer advice on their website about debt and arrears)