Supporting our tenants

How we support our tenants

We work closely with our tenants, to provide advice and guidance to help them sustain their tenancies.

We help people to overcome problems or barriers that can contribute to tenancies failing and could ultimately lead to homelessness.

Ways in which we provide support

We provide advice and guidance on a broad range of issues, including: 

  • applying for welfare benefits
  • negotiating with utilities providers
  • working out household budgets
  • managing debts
  • maintaining your home
  • moving to more appropriate accommodation
  • signposting to other organisations

Two women talking at a table

We will visit you at home or speak on the phone, working with you to create a plan and give you the information and knowledge you need to manage things yourself.

We're a friendly, non-judgemental, team with a wealth of shared experience in helping people to improve their circumstances.

You'll need to be referred to us by a housing or social care professional. If you're not sure about who to contact, please call 0300 300 8042 and ask to be referred.

Organisations that can help

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can provide help to apply for Universal Credit along with other benefits and provide all round financial advice.

Visit Citizens Advice.


Turn2us has a quick and easy benefits calculator that you can use to check what you may be entitled to.

Use Turn2us's benefits calculator.


StepChange can help with debt solutions.

Visit StepChange.

Cost of living

Find out how we can help with the cost of living