Register to vote in elections

Annual canvass - August to November 2017

Don't be left behind

60% of households in Central Bedfordshire have now responded. Are you one of the 40% who are still yet to complete this? Reminders will be delivered from 22 September. Please support us in saving money by responding to the form using the electronic options listed.

What is annual canvass?

Annual canvassYou need to be registered to be able to vote in any election or referendum for which you are eligible.

We are required, by law, to run an annual canvass to ensure the electoral register is up to date.

From 25 August, a household enquiry form (HEF) will be delivered to every property in Central Bedfordshire. If anyone is already registered at the address, they will be listed on the form. This is a sample of a blank form (PDF 1.1MB) and this is a sample of a completed form (PDF 556.8KB) .

If the details are correct, please confirm them by either:

  • phoning the number on the form
  • texting NOCHANGE, followed by the security code on the form
  • signing the form and sending it back

If the details are incorrect, please use the web address and security code on the form to make any changes online.

Complete annual canvass online >>

Alternatively, you can amend the form by crossing out those no longer living at the address and adding the names of all those eligible – including 16 and 17 year olds (do not include anyone under 16).

Please remember that you must respond, whether there is a change or not.

Canvass period - 25 August to 29 October 2017

During the canvass period, we will:

  • deliver a form to all properties in Central Bedfordshire
  • deliver a reminder to properties who do not respond – this is usually in the evenings or at weekend to ensure that we can reach as many residents as possible.
  • send canvassers to properties to encourage residents to complete the forms - all canvassers will be wearing a Central Bedfordshire Council identity badge
  • publish register on 1 December 2017

If you are adding your name to the HEF that is only step one. You now need to register. You can do this online at (link opens in new window) or alternatively we will send you a form (ITR – Invitation to Register) that you need to complete and return. Until this has been processed you will not be registered and able to vote.

Please note – you must register each time you move. Paying council tax does not mean you are automatically added to the Register of Electors.

Concerns about a canvasser

If you are concerned about a canvasser, please email or call 0300 300 8008 stating the area you live.

What happens next?

After you have responded, anyone not previously listed on the form must register. The quickest way to do this is on the GOV.UK - register to vote (link opens in new window) website, or we will send an Invitation to Register form as soon as we become aware of a potential new elector. You are required to complete and return this form by law.

Each time you change address you need to re-register. The easiest and quickest way to do this is online via the GOV.UK website (link opens in new window). You can do this at any time.

Paying council tax does not automatically mean you are registered to vote.

Any questions?

Download our questions and answers (PDF 205.4KB) .

Back to the top