Local land charges
The new CON29 form will be implemented on 4 July 2016.
- fees will remain the same
- introduction of VAT delayed by HMRC
The Local Land Charges Section is responsible for:
- maintaining the Local Land Charges Register
- providing fast access to the information required to complete your official Local Authority Search
The Local Land Charges Register holds the following information:
- any legal obligation, restrictions or prohibitions enforceable against the land or property
or a financial charge that is binding on successive owners and / or occupiers
Information about property you wish to purchase can be obtained in one of two ways:
- an official Certificate of Search, conducted by the Land Charges Team for £133 takes 5 working days on average
- a private search company views council records to do a personal search
Full local authority search
The standard search comprises a form LLC1 Certificate of Search and the CON29 Enquiries of Local Authority.
LLC1 - this is an official request to search the Local Land Charges Register.
CON29 - this form deals with the supplementary enquiries including:
- road and traffic schemes
- planning history of the search site
- local plan matters
- outstanding notices
- infringement of building regulations
- any pending notices, orders or proceeding
CON290 - this form covers the 19 optional (Part 2) enquiries, in addition to standard enquiries.
A fee of £15 for each question submitted is required.
Questions not covered by these forms can be submitted with the search request as an Additional Enquiry, a fee is payable.
These forms can be submitted together or separately.
Checklist for a Standard Search:
- two copies of the LLC1 and CON29 forms
- a clear identifiable address (including plot number and developer for all new builds)
three copies of an Ordnance Survey plan showing the boundary of the search site outlined in red
- the correct fee (all cheque(s) should be made payable to Central Bedfordshire Council)
Personal Search of the Local Land Charges Register can be made by visiting the Council Offices at Priory House, Chicksands.
Appointments are available from Monday to Friday 10am to 3.30pm. These should be booked by telephone with the Local Land Charges Team 0300 300 8052.
A full address and location plan must be provided at the time of booking.
Plans can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We realise there may be times when your Personal Search is urgent and where possible we will try to assist you.
Access to information
The council is committed to providing access to its publicly available records and all unrefined data required to complete CON29 enquiries. Government guidance changed in January 2008 and Central Bedfordshire adopted the changes.
Please refer to the Schedule of Information for Local Authority Enquiries (PDF 23.2KB) . This states where to access publicly available information and the fees for all other information in order to complete CON29.
For individual CON29 questions, you can request using the CON29 request form (PDF 195KB) .
To book a search, please do the following:
- phone the local land charges team on 0300 300 8052 or 0300 300 4099
- email the information request form indicating the information you require to email@example.com
- include a plan showing the precise boundaries to be searched against
- the applicable fee - payment by cheque / credit card to be made when information is collected from the council
Please allow 3 working days.
How much does it cost?
- LLC1 Certificate of Search - £20
- CON29 (residential) - £113
- CON29 (commercial) - £181
- Full Residential Search (LLC1 and CON29) - £133
- Full Commercial Search (LLC1 and CON29) - £201
- Optional Enquiries (CON29O) - £15 each question
- Solicitors Own Question - £25 each
- Additional Parcel of Land - £13.50
Electronic Search (via NLIS) - fees as above plus the Channel Suppliers administration fee.
How long does it take?
The average turnaround times are:
- LLC1 - 3 working days
- Standard search - 10 working days
- Standard search with further enquiries - 13 working days
If you wish to enquire about the progress of a search, please contact the office.
Who to contact
Local Land Charges Department
Central Bedfordshire Council
Beds SG17 5TQ
DX 153440 Shefford
Tel: 0300 300 8052 or 0300 300 4099
Which local water authority
The majority of Central Bedfordshire is covered by Anglian Water Authority. Some parishes lying to the south of the area are covered by Thames Water. If you telephone the office with the address a member of staff will be able to confirm for you.
Who owns the land?
The Local Authority does not hold information relating to:
- property boundaries
- title plans
and for information in respect of:
- private covenants
- restrictions on land
The office to contact is HM Land Registry in Peterborough.
Tel: 01733 288288
Local land charges request
Anyone can request a search of the Local Land Charges Register. The required form, which is available at any law stationer's office, should be submitted to the council.
The council searches the Local Land Charges Register and compiles a response. A copy of the LLC1 form is signed and dated and the results are returned via post/DX or electronically. The current fee is £20.
The Local Land Charges Register shows existing charges against a property. The CON29 form shows matters which may be pending such as:
- road humps on the road outside your intended property
- compulsory purchase order
- a conservation area review
There are two CON29 forms:
This is the standard form of enquiry. Answers to the questions on this form are required for all residential and commercial transactions.
The fee is £113 Residential and £181 commercial / land.
This is an option set of enquiries which can be ordered on an individual question or multiple question basis.
Each optional enquiry is £15.
To aid you in compiling your own search download and print two copies of the Central Bedfordshire Local Search Request Form (PDF 75.9KB) .
These must be accompanied by three copies of a plan clearly showing the property to be searched against. Plans are available for a small fee from Land Registry.
Complete the details on the form and together with a cheque for the correct amount made payable to Central Bedfordshire Council send to:
Local Land Charges Department
Central Bedfordshire Council
Apply for a search electronically
The National Land Information Service (NLIS) (link opens in new window) provides an on-line one-stop shop for land and property related information in England and Wales.
We are electronically connected to NLIS and you can both send and receive searches electronically.
Cancellation of searches
Our policy is not to cancel searches once entered into our computerised system due to the quick turnaround of Local Searches.