Getting care and support

Getting care and support

General adult social care enquiries

Ask us about adult social care >>

Getting a care needs assessment

The purpose of a care needs assessment is to:

  • discuss your situation
  • understand what your needs are
  • help you to consider your own wellbeing
  • find out how you can remain as independent as possible for as long as possible

You can ask for an assessment for yourself, including if you are caring for someone, or on behalf of someone else.

We will advise you on services or support that can help you based on the information you provide.

If you need an assessment for someone over 18

You can complete a self assessment if you or the person you are caring for is over 18.

Complete a self assessment >>

If you're a carer

As a carer, you're also entitled to an assessment.

Complete a carer self assessment >>

Contact us

If you have any questions about the assessment, please call 0300 300 8303.

Customer Service Team
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House
High Street North

What will happen at your care needs assessment

We will try to obtain a complete picture of your life and discuss your strengths; what is working well for you now and what your needs are.

In many cases, we will be able to provide information, advice and guidance to help you identify the services and support that you can arrange yourself.

In some circumstances, we may recommend that you have a period of reablement or short-term support before making longer-term arrangements.

In an emergency, we will make sure that you have the help that you need.

If we need to do a more detailed assessment, we will arrange an appointment with you. This is normally at your home.

We will discuss your situation, including:

  • your personal care (like washing and getting dressed)
  • household tasks
  • health
  • accommodation situation
  • emotional needs and social activities

If you are caring for someone, we will also ask you about how caring affects your day-to-day life and things that you would like to achieve including work, education and social activities.

You can have someone with you at the assessment. They can speak on your behalf and represent your interests – called an advocate.

View more about independent advocacy, including a list of organisations who provide this service.

Back to the top