Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge is the biggest reading for pleasure children’s programme in the UK. Last year, 4591 children and their families from Central Bedfordshire took part.
This summer’s theme is Silly Squad and it is all about encouraging children to have fun reading. The challenge is going to run differently this year with families joining the challenge via a special Silly Squad website and earning online rewards rather than coming to library to sign up and collect prizes. Check out our virtual library for more information about the challenge and how to sign up.
Even though we are not able to run our regular activities and events in libraries this summer we are still working hard to support children to have fun reading!
- e-books, audiobooks and magazines for children to download for free using their library card number (you can also join the library online so nobody needs to miss out)
- lots of Silly Squad Crafts for you to try at home
We're also encouraging children to read anywhere and everywhere with our Silly Squad Places to Read Challenge.
We have moved some of your favourite library activities online:
- Chatterbooks find a new book and activities on our virtual library each week.
- Code Club find a new coding project each Wednesday on our Facebook page and Twitter feed
- Story and Rhymetime join us live on Facebook each Thursday at 11.30am and enjoy a couple of stories and join us for some well-known rhymes.
- Lego Club check out our new building challenge each Saturday at 11am on our Facebook page
We have also added some new activities to try:
- join us for a game of I Spy with something new to spot each Monday on our Facebook page
- listen to a bedtime story read by a member of library staff each Wednesday and Saturday at 6pm on our Facebook page