Reporting disrepair in private rented properties

What action can we take?

Depending on the severity of the situation we can take one or more of the following steps:

  • work with your landlord or agent to resolve the problem informally
  • serve an improvement notice specifying the work necessary and time allowed to complete the work
  • serve a prohibition order preventing the use of the premises, or part of the premises, until works are carried out
  • take emergency action where there is imminent risk

In all instances of us taking action to remedy disrepair to the property, we will contact your landlord or agent directly and notify them of the problem reported to us.