Reporting disrepair in private rented properties | Central Bedfordshire Council

Reporting disrepair in private rented properties

Reporting disrepairs and defects in private rented property

Speak to your landlord

You should contact your landlord or managing agent if you have any problems with:

  • disrepair
  • broken or non-functioning appliances supplied by your landlord
  • facilities in your rented home

The landlord must ensure that the electrical system and any gas or electrical appliances supplied with the let are safe to use, such as:

  • cookers
  • kettles
  • toasters
  • washing machines
  • immersion heaters
  • boilers

If you need us to step in

If your landlord or letting agent fails to resolve your issue in a reasonable time, we can step in to help ensure the standards of the premises are improved.

Contact our Housing Solutions (private sector team) by calling 0300 300 8767 or by emailing

An officer will call you to discuss your case and if required will arrange to visit and inspect the property to identify hazards, which will be assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

Download the below for more information:

Private tenant complaint factsheet (PDF 116.1KB)

Fire safety guidance for tenants of HMOs (PDF 80KB)

You also must bear in mind your responsibilities as tenant (link opens in new window).