How we assess your situation - homelessness

Please call us on 0300 300 4370. Our phone lines are open Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm and Friday, 8:30am to 4pm. We will ask you details about your situation and may invite you to make an appointment for a housing options assessment, if this hasn't already been done (find out what to expect at a housing options assessment interview. (PDF 391.5KB) )

You may also wish to read the government's code of guidance (link opens in new window), which may relate to your situation and the law.

What happens if we offer you temporary accommodation

If we offer you temporary accommodation, it is likely to take the form of one or more of the following:

  • nightly let – accommodation where you will be provided with one room (breakfast may or may not be included, usually has shared bathrooms and toilets)
  • hostel – we use hostels for temporary accommodation
  • temporary accommodation within social housing stock

Five important points you need to know

Things to remember

Please be advised that, although we endeavour to provide temporary accommodation within Central Bedfordshire, this is not always possible. Temporary accommodation can be arranged out of the district.

All households have to pay for their temporary accommodation. The charges vary according to the type and size of the accommodation. You can apply for housing benefit, if eligible. Housing benefit will not cover the service charge in hostel-type accommodation.

You will remain in temporary accommodation until investigations are complete and you have been notified of our decision. If it is decided that you are homeless and meet all the criteria, you will remain in temporary accommodation until a more permanent offer of accommodation is made.

Your belongings

If we have accepted a duty to house you, we may also have a duty to protect your belongings if they are at risk of being damaged or lost. It is important to note that this is not a free service. You will be recharged for the cost.


Currently we do not have any temporary accommodation providers who allow pets in their rooms. Therefore, it would be down to you as the pet's owner to arrange a re-homing service for your pets.

If you're offered permanent accommodation

When a permanent offer is made to you, you will need to vacate your temporary accommodation, on the date given. If you refuse an offer of accommodation which is suitable for the needs of you and your household, by law we do not have to offer you any other accommodation. You will need to vacate your temporary accommodation and make your own arrangements for re-housing.

What happens if you disagree with our decision?

Every person who applies to us for assistance with homelessness will be entitled to a written decision regarding what we will do for you. Consequently, you have the right to appeal against our decision by requesting us to review that decision.

If you wish us to review our decision, please contact us on 0300 300 4370 (Monday to Thursday, from 9am to 5pm and Friday, from 9am to 4pm).

An appeal has to be requested within 21 days of the date of you being notified of the decision. The decision letter will tell you how to request a review.