Harrassment and illegal eviction | Central Bedfordshire Council

Harrassment and illegal eviction

Accelerated possession

Landlords can sometimes evict tenants using ‘accelerated possession’. This is quicker than a normal eviction and doesn’t usually need a court hearing.

Your landlord can only do this if:

  • you have an assured short hold tenancy or a statutory periodic tenancy
  • you have a written tenancy agreement
  • they’ve given you the required written notice (a minimum of 2 months) in the right form
  • they haven’t asked you to leave before the end of a fixed-term tenancy

You can only stop accelerated possession if you can prove your landlord hasn’t followed the rules listed above.

How it works

If your landlord applies to the court for accelerated possession, the court will send you a copy of the application.

Challenging the application

If you want to challenge the application, you must do this within 14 days of receiving it.

A judge will decide whether to:

  • issue a possession order, giving your landlord the right to evict you and take possession of the property (this is normally the case)
  • have a court hearing (this usually only happens if the paperwork isn’t in order or you’ve raised an important issue)

Even if there’s a hearing, the court can still decide to issue a possession order.

If the judge issues a possession order

If the judge makes a possession order, you’ll normally have 14 or 28 days to leave the property. If this will cause you exceptional hardship, the judge may give you up to 42 days to leave.

If you don’t leave at this point, your landlord can use bailiffs to evict you.