How to defrost a frozen condensate boiler pipe
You may be able to thaw frozen condensate pipes without having to log it as a repair, if you follow the guidelines below.
Thawing your condensate pipe:
- use hot water – not boiling – heated by a kettle or a microwave and pour over the end of the pipe where it is frozen using a suitable container like a watering can
- hold a hot water bottle or heat wrap around the condensate pipe
- once the pipe has thawed you should re-set your boiler by holding in the re-set button for 10 seconds and wait for the boiler to re-fire
You can watch Worcester Bosch Group's self-help film to help you understand how to do it.
- never attempt to thaw a condensate pipe above waist level, or disconnect the condensate pipe in order to do so
- never attempt to access the condensate pipe or any other pipe work within the boiler
- beware of ice on the ground that will form from the water you have poured
If in any doubt, phone our Housing Repairs team on 0800 074 0263.