Houghton Regis North development
Houghton Regis North (HRN), site 1
Outline planning permission for HRN1 was granted in 2014.
HRN1 will include:
- up to 5,150 new homes of a range of types and sizes
- 1 million square feet Lidl warehouse
- retail, leisure and offices of around 1 million square feet
- new community facilities including new doctors' surgery, community hall and associated provision
- 78 hectares of open space, including community orchards, formal parkland, sports pitches and informal open space
- 3 new primary schools
- contribution towards secondary school provision at Kingsland or All Saints
- major strategic roads - A5-M1 link road, M1 Junction 11A and the Woodside Link – connection between the M1 and Houghton Regis
- new infrastructure including foul water and sewerage connections, a local road network and new utilities provision
- undergrounding the electricity pylons that currently run parallel to the M1
The developer, Houghton Regis Development Consortium (HRDC), has been working up a comprehensive delivery strategy for HRN1 and the next stage is to develop a site-wide masterplan, a site-wide design code and area masterplans for the site.
From 22 to 24 February 2018, HRDC held public exhibition drop-in sessions on the site-wide masterplan for HRN1 at Central Atrium, outside Houghton Regis Library.
Houghton Regis North (HRN), site 2
Outline 'hybrid' planning permission CB/15/00297/OUT was granted in 2015 with details of main access routes, primary road network and associated drainage in detail only and layout in outline with details of landscaping, appearance and scale reserved for later determination.
HRN2 will include:
- up to 1,850 homes (including affordable housing)
- 2FE Primary School
- employment land
- local centre comprising retail and community / leisure uses
- layout of public open spaces including sports pitches and changing rooms, natural wildlife area and wildlife warden building (D2)
- all associated works and operations including engineering operations and earthworks