COVID-19 support for business
The government has put into place a business grant to help businesses that had to close or were badly affected by the restrictions announced in Tier 2 and that remain affected under Tier 3 and Tier 4 restrictions.
For businesses that had to close from Thursday 5 November the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum applies.
To qualify for this grant, your business must have been:
- open as usual before the restrictions
- required to close due to the former national restrictions and throughout Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4
- liable to business rates for the premises
You will also need to have a business rates account with us. Wet-led pubs applying for this scheme must be able to evidence that more than 50 per cent of their sales comes from alcohol and also indicate whether they are also applying for the Christmas Support Grant.
How much will businesses receive?
The value of grants awarded under the first new scheme will depend on the rateable value of your premises. You can find and check your business rates valuation with the Valuation Office Agency.
Businesses with a rateable value of:
- exactly £15,000 or under will receive a payment of £1,334 per 28-day qualifying period
- over £15,000 and less than £51,000 will receive a payment of £2,000 per 28-day qualifying period
- exactly £51,000 or above, will receive £3,000 per 28-day qualifying period
Exclusions to the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum
Businesses not eligible for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum are:
- those which can continue to trade and have chosen to close but not been required to do so
- or have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of state aid permitted under the de minimis and the COVID-19 Temporary State Aid Framework
- or were in administration, are insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made on the date of the first full day of the restrictions
- or pay business rates as part of their rent and so do not have a business rates bill reference number with us
How to apply
Please note that businesses will need to make a fresh application for this funding even if they previously received a COVID-19 business support grant as we are required to gather more information.
To apply for a grant, you'll need:
A copy of your most recent business bank statement. This must be dated within the last three months and the same account that you expect the grant to be paid into. It will be used to validate your account details and address. We cannot pay these grants into private bank accounts.
Your business rates bill number. This can be found on your bill (for easy access to your bill in future, please register for paperless billing. This means you can easily find and store your bill and still have the option to print it or forward a copy to someone if you need to.)
Your company number. If your business is registered with Companies House, you must provide your company number. You can check this on your certificate of incorporation or find a company number online.
Applying will generate an automatic email from us containing your unique application number and an email address for any queries. Please use this number as the subject in email to help us process your claim as quickly as possible.
Business rates relief
Revised bills have now been issued to all eligible businesses. If you haven’t heard from us, please get in touch:
Telephone: 0300 300 8011