Welfare information and advice

Help with stress and worry

Constant money concerns can sometimes leave you feeling distressed and worried about your mental wellbeing. If you are in this situation, there are local organisations with years of experience supporting people in such circumstances who can help you. Contact them before matters reach a crisis point.

Mind (Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes): contact the charity for confidential help on a range of mental health issues. It also runs support groups in several areas of Central Bedfordshire including Ampthill, Biggleswade, Dunstable and Leighton Buzzard.

Mind BLMK Ampthill

Ampthill Methodist Church
Chandos Road (off Dunstable Street)
MK45 2JS
Telephone: 07707 253511
Email: ampthill@mind-blmk.org.uk

Mind Biggleswade

St Andrew’s Church
Shortmead Street
SG18 0AT
Telephone: 07561 185495
Email: biggleswade@mind-blmk.org.uk

Mind BLMK Dunstable

Beacon House
5 Regent Street

Telephone: 01582 709226

Email: dunstable@mind-blmk.org.uk

Mind BLMK Leighton Buzzard

Ground Floor
Arden House
West Street
Leighton Buzzard
Telephone: 01525 382847 / 07787 433494
Email: lbwc@mind-blmk.org.uk

For more information call 0300 330 0648 or email hq@mind-blmk.org.uk

Age UK Bedfordshire

If you are an older person and you feel you need free and impartial mental health support get in touch with the charity. For more information or to book an appointment, find them on:

Bromham Road
MK40 2QH
Telephone: 01234 360510
Email: enquiries@ageukbedfordshire.org.uk
Visit Age UK Bedfordshire's website


Samaritans offer 24-hour confidential non-judgemental emotional support, for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide. Call them on: 116 123.

Other useful mental health contacts

  • contact your GP (find your local GP surgery) if you are in distress. If the surgery is closed, there will be an out-of-hours or emergency number on their answering machine.
  • North and Mid Beds Crisis Team: 01234 315691
  • Luton and South Beds Crisis Team: 01582 556971

Both crisis teams operate a referral service. Speak to your GP, A&E department, community mental health teams, or community nurse if you need to be referred.

  • accident and emergency hospital department: If you feel suicidal and would like to see a professional urgently, visit your local hospital accident and emergency department. There will be a duty psychiatrist available to assess your needs and assist in finding the necessary support
  • non-emergency NHS helpline: 111 – You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation
  • emergency services: 999 – If you or somebody else is at risk due to a mental health crisis, you should ring for the police or an ambulance