Welfare reform

Local council tax support

The government's national Council Tax Benefit scheme has been replaced by local schemes developed by each council in consultation with local residents. At the same time, the government has changed the law for some council tax discounts.

Who is affected?

You will be affected if you are liable to pay council tax for the property you live in, and need help with your council tax bill because of your low income.

How will I be affected?

If you are working age, the amount of help you receive towards your council tax will be based on our local scheme. You will be expected to pay at least 25% of your council tax, unless:

  • you or your partner are over Pension Credit age
  • you are protected because of your circumstances

Find out more

Visit our Local council tax support page to find out more, including details of the protected groups and changes to discounts and rebates.