Welfare reform

Under-occupation or 'size limit' rules

Under-occupation or 'size limit' rules

Under occupation is where the government believes your council or housing association home is bigger than you need. From April 2013, housing benefit has been reduced for working age households with 'spare' bedrooms.

Read more about the under-occupation rules.

Who is affected?

You will be affected if you rent a council or housing association home and are under the Pension Credit qualifying age.

How will I be affected?

If you are under occupying, your housing benefit will be reduced by 14% if you have one spare bedroom, or 25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms.