East of Arlesey
Local Plan - consultation on additional evidence View more information and take part in the consultation.
Local Plan - consultation on additional evidence
View more information and take part in the consultation.
Around 2,000 new homes, community facilities and services.
Where will this development be?
This location is situated between Arlesey in the east, the A507 road and Fairfield in the west. The site borders Arlesey Cross in the north and extends south of Arlesey beyond the Blue Lagoon. The layout of Arlesey Cross will be taken into consideration.
Watch our video to see what will be in this development, or read more detail below.
What will be included in the development?
The plan will provide:
- homes for everyone, including affordable housing, starter homes, self/custom build plots and homes to meet all identified needs for older people
- a healthcare facility, which includes space for a GP surgery *
- a community centre
- a mix of retail and at least one drinking establishment
- day nurseries, early years, school and sixth form facilities
- indoor sport and leisure facilities
- outdoor sport, leisure and open space, including pavilions and allotments
- a new relief road to connect the area from the south of Hitchin Road to the A507/High Street link road in the north, which is being proposed as part of Arlesey Cross. This will allow for access directly onto the A507, relieving congestion along the High Street in Arlesey
- public transport routes through the development that link with key destinations including Arlesey Train Station
- pedestrian and cycle links from the new and existing neighbourhoods
- a new country park will provide a permanent separation between Arlesey and Fairfield, which will also benefit biodiversity and give access to leisure and recreation facilities
- green space linking the new country park with existing green areas in Arlesey and Fairfield Park, including a link with Etonbury Woods
- facilities and improved public access to Blue Lagoon; and improving the ecology and biodiversity at Green Lagoon
- upgraded existing rights of way within the site
- new public access routes will be created to Arlesey Train Station in the north
- improved rights of way between the site and the emerging Arlesey Cross development
* The council can provide land and a building for GP surgeries, however the provision of GPs and other medical services is the responsibility of the NHS.
In addition to this strategic development, the Local Plan also includes two sites for 67 (land adjoining Lewis Lane) and 20 (land to the rear of 214-216 High Street) new homes. You can view a map of the sites online (PDF 804.1KB) .
How will the development be progressed?
There will be further engagement and consultation with the local community to develop a masterplan for the development in the future. This will be an opportunity to discuss specific facilities and details.
The actual build will be phased: not all of the homes will be built in one go, it is likely to take several years. The timing will be aligned with the supporting infrastructure, community facilities and new relief road.