One new village east of Biggleswade
Local Plan - consultation on additional evidence View more information and take part in the consultation.
Local Plan - consultation on additional evidence
View more information and take part in the consultation.
Around 1,500 homes, community facilities and services.
Where will this development be?
The plan is to develop a new village east of Baden Powell Way. The development will form a well-designed, sustainable village that will be visibly and physically separate from Biggleswade.
Watch our video to see what will be in this development, or read more detail below.
What will be included in the development?
The village will provide:
- homes for everyone, including affordable housing, starter homes, self/custom build plots and homes to meet all identified needs for older people
- the development will also make a financial contribution towards the planned Health and Care Hub on the former Hospital site. This will include space for GP surgery *
- a mix of retail and at least one drinking establishment
- day nurseries, early years, school and sixth form facilities
- indoor sport and leisure facilities
- outdoor sport, leisure and open space, including pavilions and allotments
- public transport routes and contribution towards public transport services through the development that link with key destinations including Biggleswade Train Station and Biggleswade town centre
- pedestrian and cycle links from the new and existing neighbourhoods
- parkland to the west of the site as an extension to the Biggleswade Common. This green space will be of a scale equivalent to the Biggleswade Common with substantial wet woodland planting, rough grassland and scrub, complementary to Biggleswade Common
- landscaping and habitat linkages following the northern boundary of the site, extending from the boundary of the site, adjoining Biggleswade Common and towards Dunton Fen, as well as substantial soft landscaping along the eastern and southern boundaries of the site.
* The council can provide land and a building for GP surgeries, however the provision of GPs and other medical services is the responsibility of the NHS.
In addition to this strategic development, the Local Plan also includes a site to the north of Biggleswade for 401 new homes. You can view a map of the site online (PDF 859.2KB) .
How will the development be progressed?
There will be further engagement and consultation with the local community to develop a Masterplan for the development in the future. This will be an opportunity to discuss specific facilities and details.
The actual build will be phased: not all of the homes will be built in one go, it is likely to take several years. The timing will be aligned with the supporting infrastructure and community facilities.
We will continue to engage with central government to seek improvements to the A1. The proposed East-West Railway and the Oxford to Cambridge Expressway will also support this development.