Pre-application planning advice for developments which aren't residential extensions or alterations
Pre-application advice can help to:
- give you an understanding of how an application will be judged against the policies in the development plan
- identify where there is a need for specialist surveys/reports/requirements relating to trees or landscape, traffic, land liable to flood, and anticipate other regulatory requirements
- indicate where a proposal is completely unacceptable to us, saving the costs of finalising an application
- give an indication of the likely requirement for contributions
- identify whether a development brief (find out what a development brief is) will be required prior to the submission of a planning application, and advise on the expected content and process for the preparation of a development brief
The fee for development pre-application advice depends on the type of development proposed.
Fees for developments
|Category||Type of development||Fee including VAT|
|1||50 or more dwellings - speak to a planning officer about undertaking a planning performance agreement (PPA)||Please speak to a planning officer regarding a PPA|
|2||3000m sq plus or 30 to 49 dwellings||£2,580.48|
|3||2000m sq to 2999m sq or 20 to 29 dwellings||£1,548.54|
|4||1000m sq to 1999m sq or 10 to 19 dwellings||£1,031.94|
|5||Under 1000 sqm||£645.12|
|6||2 to 4 dwellings||£322.56|
|7||1 dwelling, including replacement dwellings||£194.04|
Additional (optional) support fees
The pre-application advice service provides the opportunity for one formal response. If you would like further advice following your initial pre-application response, then you can request additional support. This may be for further advice on an amended scheme or provision of additional information to enable a further response, prior to the submission of an application.
Further advice is available for up to 6 months from the date we provide our initial response.
To request additional support please submit a further pre-application request form, noting the above information and stating that the request relates to additional support.
To use this service, you will need to pay online (please select 'Miscellaneous' on the payments page for Planning, select one of the appropriate options from P51 to P57). You will then be given a payment reference number which, along with any existing case.
|Category||Type of development||Follow-up advice fee (including VAT)||Follow-up meeting fee (including VAT)|
|1||50 dwellings +||N/A||N/A|
|2||3000sqm + or 30-49 dwellings||£1,720.32||£860.16|
|3||2000sqm to 2999sqm or 20 to 29 dwellings||£1,032.36||£516.18|
|4||1000sqm to 1999sqm or 10 to 19 dwellings||£687.96||£343.98|
|5||Under 1000sqm to 2999sqm or 5 to 9 dwellings||£430.08||£215.04|
|6||2 to 4 dwellings||£215.04||£107.52|
|7||1 dwelling including replacement dwellings||£129.36||£64.68|
Please note: if your proposed development would benefit from environmental health advice there will be an additional charge. This is calculated at 20% of the above fee. You will be contacted separately and advised of this before any work is undertaken.
If your development does not fall into the above categories, please contact us to discuss a fee for pre-application advice. This is not likely to cost more than £500 plus VAT.
Processing times and what is included
- categories 1 to 4: 8-week process, up to two hours of officer meeting time, a written response, full consultation with relevant planning consultees
- categories 5 to 6: 28-day process, up to an hour of officer meeting time, a written response, full consultation with relevant planning consultees
- category 7: 28-day process, a written response, full consultation with relevant planning consultees
As part of the pre-application advice service we will provide:
- a written response to your request for pre-application advice which will be considered against any subsequent planning application
- information on key planning policies and previous planning decisions
- named contacts
- informal comments and guidance, without prejudice, on the content, construction and presentation of an application likely to meet planning policies
- advice on the documents to be submitted and procedures with your planning application
Seeking pre-application advice may help you get a quicker positive decision once your planning application is submitted. Where pre-application advice is either not sought or adhered to, planning applications are likely to be determined without negotiation.