Voter ID

Voter ID for elections from May 2023

From May 2023 Electors will be required to show an accepted form of photographic identification in order to receive their ballot paper(s) to cast their vote in a polling station at: 

  • UK Parliamentary general elections
  • Recall petitions
  • local elections in England
  • local referendums in England
  • Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales

Accepted forms of identification are set out in Schedule 1 of the Elections Act. This list includes ‘an electoral identity document issued under section 13BD (electoral identity document: Great Britain)’. This is a new document called the Voter Authority Certificate (VAC) which Electoral Registration Officers (ERO) will provide, free of charge, to any eligible elector who applies for one.

There will be three varieties of this ‘electoral identity document':

  • the Voter Authority Certificate
  • the temporary Voter Authority Certificate, which EROs will have the discretion to provide in contingency situations
  • the Anonymous Electors Document, for use by anonymous electors only

The deadline for applications for Voter Authority Certificates will be 5pm, 6 working days ahead of a poll.


If you don't already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for the free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC).

Apply online for a Voter Authority Certificate

You can also apply for a VAC by completing a paper form Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by post if you’re living in the UK - GOV.UK (

Apply for a VAC by post, if you live in the UK - GOV.UK

Current accepted list of photographic ID


  • a UK passport
  • a passport issued by an EEA state or Commonwealth country

Apply for a UK passport

Driving licence (including provisional licences)

  • a licence to drive a motor vehicle granted under 15(i) Part 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, or (ii) the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (SI 1981/154 (N.I. 1))
  • a driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state

Immigration document

A biometric immigration document issued in accordance with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007.

Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) hologram

These include:

  • CitizenCard
  • My ID Card
  • Milton Keynes all in 1 MK Card
  • NUS Totum ID Card
  • Validate UK Card
  • Young Scot Card
  • One ID 4 U Card

Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)

Commonly known as a MOD90.

Concessionary travel passes

This list has been updated since the introduction of the Elections Bill. It exhaustively sets out all concessionary travel cards that will be accepted, to avoid any confusion amongst electors.

These include:

  • older persons' bus pass (UK Government; how to apply for a bus pass)
  • disabled persons' bus pass
  • Oyster 60+ card
  • Freedom Pass
  • National Entitlement Card (Scottish Government)
  • 60 and over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card (Welsh Government)
  • Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card (Welsh Government)
  • a Senior SmartPass (Nothern Ireland)
  • a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass (Nothern Ireland)
  • a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass (Nothern Ireland)
  • a 60+ SmartPass (Nothern Ireland)
  • a Half Fare SmartPass (Nothern Ireland)

Chronically sick or disabled

A badge of a form prescribed under section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 or section 14 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons (Northern Ireland) Act 1978 (blue badge scheme).

Electoral documents

  • an electoral identity document issued under section 13BD (electoral identity document: Great Britain)
  • an anonymous elector’s document issued under section
  • 513BE (anonymous elector’s document: Great Britain) the holder of which has an anonymous entry at the time of the application for a ballot paper
  • an electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland)
  • a national identity card issued by an EEA state