Cheering Volunteering award winners
Owing to the current restrictions, we were unable to host our live celebration awards event in the way we have usually done in previous years. This year our brilliant presenters have helped us to come together and produce a virtual video event to help celebrate the incredible work our fantastic volunteers have been doing throughout the year and during the pandemic.
However, we also know how many amazing volunteers are still out there doing amazing things and have done for many years before this pandemic and will continue for many years after. We want to recognise them and their efforts and outstanding achievements, across all types of volunteering in our community.
Many of the volunteers within Central Bedfordshire help to provide the backbone to the community and this event allows us to really showcase the incredible support that they provide, often to some of our most vulnerable residents.
The awards, organised by Central Bedfordshire Council, working in partnership with the Volunteer Centres as part of Central Bedfordshire Together, is our chance to say thank you to those who give their time to help others.
Supported by Ringway Jacobs, Pro Logis, Grand Union Housing and Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue, the awards are devoted to recognising and applauding the efforts of volunteers across the area. This year a special COVID-19 award has been created and nominations are invited for groups and individuals who have demonstrated their commitment to support their communities, and particularly vulnerable residents through the pandemic.
Cheering Volunteering winners and runners-up
Young Volunteer of the Year
Esmai Baxter (hospital fundraiser)
- Emily Binns (Young Healthwatch volunteer)
- Shabbar Raja (Voluntary Police Cadet duties)
Volunteer of the Year
- Tracey Murrell (Scouts)
- Ian Blake (Volunteer East Anglian Air Ambulance)
- Jenny Gallucci (Houghton Regis Helpers)
Volunteer Group of the Year
- BLEVEC Commanders Group
- Houghton Hall Park Volunteers
- Cruse Bereavement Volunteers
Supporting Communities during COVID-19 Award
- Central Bedfordshire Good Neighbour Volunteers
- Suzan Whittle
- Harry Ward
Sports and Wellbeing Award
- HLB Runners
- Walking for Health
- Laurence Paul Zahorodny
- Lily Chan (donating cooked meals to key workers)
- Jan Bailey (Hospice at Home volunteer)
- Daniela Turner (Volunteer for Autism Bedfordshire)
Lifetime Achievement Award
- Margaret Lowe (supporting her community for 38 years)
- David Footitt (Rotary and RoSPa)
- Maureen Hill and Gill Hayward (Citizens Advice)
Captain Sir Tom Moore Award for Outstanding Contribution
Katrina Widdicks (Heart of Marston)
- Susan Clark (Young Healthwatch Central Bedfordshire)
- Helen Gudgin (Charity fundraising)