Coronavirus: Self-isolation payments | Central Bedfordshire Council

Coronavirus: Self-isolation payments

How to claim a Test and Trace Support payment (coronavirus)

Making sure those who have COVID-19 (and those who have been in close contact with them) self-isolate is one of our most powerful tools for controlling the spread of coronavirus.

Self-isolating, where friends and family or delivery services bring supplies to your door, helps prevent your family, friends and community from catching the virus, as well as helping to protect the NHS.

Find out what to do if you need to claim a payment and you're using your overdraft.

New grant

The government has introduced a new grant to support people in work on low incomes to self-isolate.

You may be able to claim a £500 lump sum payment if you cannot work from home and are required to self-isolate.

This payment aims to help make up for any lost income people may face by having to stay at home.

Who can get it?

You must:

  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app (from 10 December) because of a positive coronavirus test or identified, recent close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • have obtained a unique NHS Test and Trace account ID (this is automatic if you're called, but you have to request an ID if told via the app)
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • be receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit
  • have completed the contact tracing journey, including completing all the steps you are asked to follow

How to get your unique NHS Test and Trace account ID

If you test positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), or are told to self-isolate by contact tracers, you’ll be given an NHS Test and Trace account ID automatically.

If you're told to self-isolate by the COVID-19 app because you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus, you’ll need to request an NHS Test and Trace account ID before you can apply for support. Find out how to request your account ID.

Discretionary support payments

If you are not receiving any of the qualifying benefits for a Test and Trace Support payment, you can still get a discretionary support payment if you meet all the other criteria and one of the following:

  • you or your partner have applied for any of the qualifying benefits and you are waiting for a decision
  • you or your partner cannot claim the qualifying benefits because of immigration status
  • you or your partner are receiving (or have applied for) Local Council Tax Support

View or download the details of our discretionary support payment scheme (PDF).

Apply online, if you think you meet the conditions

Apply online for a support payment