Report fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping

What happens after fly-tipping is reported?

The first thing we do is find out who owns the land. We can then decide how urgently the waste needs removing. If it’s causing a public health hazard or a major obstruction, then we will prioritise this over waste which is an eyesore but causes no immediate problem.

If fly-tipping is on public land

We will inspect the problem, look for evidence of who fly-tipped and check the waste for hazards. We treat obstructions on the road as a priority and will usually inspect within 2 hours and clear the problem as soon as possible.

Obstructions on footways will be inspected within 5 working days.

If the obstruction is fly-tipping (dumped rubbish) we will move the waste to the side of the road or footway but we will not clear it. Our Anti Social Behavioural & Statutory Nuisance Team will come and assess the rubbish to see if there is anything there that can be used to identify the person(s) who dumped it (e.g. a household bill) before removing it.

Fly-tipping on private land

Fly-tipping on private land such as in fields, gateways, drives; housing association land and private car parks cannot be removed by us and should be reported to the land owner. Fly-tipping on private land is the landowner's responsibility, but we may ask the landowner to remove rubbish dumped on their land.

Fly-tipping on motorways

Fly-tipping on motorways and trunk roads should be reported to the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000.