Help to live at home

Adaptations to your home

Sometimes your property may need changing to help you move about and use your home safely and independently.

For example:

  • access in and out of your home (e.g. a wheelchair ramp)
  • access to specific rooms such as the toilet, bath or shower or a washbasin
  • ceiling hoists
  • stairlifts
  • widening doorways so that you can use a wheelchair
  • replacing your bath or shower unit with a level-access shower, or changing your toilet
  • adding a downstairs toilet so that you don't have to keep using the stairs
  • installing low-level kitchen units

Any adaptations recommended, because of your assessment, must be necessary and appropriate to the needs of the person, and the adaptations must be reasonable and practical.

For example, a person with mobility problems may feel that a ground floor extension incorporating a level access shower and toilet should be funded.

However, a stairlift to an existing bathroom on the first floor and adaptation of that bathroom would be a more reasonable, practical and cost-effective solution.

If you meet the funding criteria, we will refer you for a Disabled Facilities Grant for equipment or aids to help you. We will advise you on the most appropriate funding.


The referrals for the major adaptations would need to come through the SEPT team via the contact centre.

The contact details are:

SEPT OT services is via 0845 602 4064, and the contact centre is 0300 300 8050.

However, if you do not qualify for equipment from the council, there are other organisations that can help you.

Whilst we cannot promote or recommend individual company organisations, Age UK (link opens in new window) can provide advice on installing a stairlift, and can put you in touch with a reputable supplier.

There are companies that provide access ramps, stairlifts and wheelchair lifts. Most of these will have their own websites.

Making adaptations to your home

To alter your home you will need advice from qualified builders on what to do.

You will need approval from the council or private landlord if you live in rented property.

If you want to arrange the work yourself, there are many private companies that are able to undertake adaptations to your home.

Once you know what you want to have done and roughly how much you are prepared to pay you can search online.

For more information on adapting your home

Age UK adapting your home (PDF 367.1KB)

Equipment, adaptations and improvements to the home (link opens in new window) from the Alzheimer’s Society.