Independent schools and colleges and post-16 providers
There is a published list of approved independent special institutions (Independent Special Schools – England and Wales and Special Post-16 institutions). Institutions are only included on the list with their consent.
If included these institutions have specific duties. Under the Children and Families Act specific duties apply to institutions on the approved list:
- institutions on the approved list must “have regard” to the SEN (Special Educational Needs) Code of Practice
- institutions on the approved list have a reciprocal duty to co-operate with the local authority on arrangements for children and young people with SEN
- local authorities’ published local offer must refer to the institutions on the approved list
- specific duties and rights relating to admissions, in line with maintained schools, Academies, FE (Further Education) colleges and non-maintained special schools
- a child or young person has a right to request that an institution on the approved list is named in their EHC (Education, Health and Care) Plan
- if the institution is named in an EHC Plan, the local authority is under a qualified duty to secure a place
- if the institution is named in an EHC Plan, the institution must admit the pupil or young person
Section 41 Secretary of State Approved List
You can view the Section 41 Secretary of State approved List (link opens in new window) on the GOV.UK website.
Some schools on the list have provided additional information, please see below.
Within Central Bedfordshire
Develop is a local independent training provider with centres based in: Dunstable, Bedford, Hitchin and Norwich.
These centres build personalised programmes around learners needs in a nurturing and dynamic environment.
Higher needs learners can access; vocational skills, maths and English, independence skills for life, employability, supported work experience and travel training. Learners have the opportunity to work towards nationally accredited qualifications.
Full programme details and centre information can be found on Develop's website (link opens in new window).
In the rest of the country
Ambitious College in Colindale, North London
Download leaflet about Ambitious College (PDF 14.1KB) .
Breckenbrough School in North Yorkshire
Breckenborough School (link opens in new window) is a residential Special School for boys (9 to 19 years of age) of average and above average ability with a range of learning and behavioural difficulties including:
- Asperger Syndrome
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Download the leaflet for Breckenborough School (PDF 1.9MB) .
Derwen College in Shropshire
Download leaflet about Derwen College (PDF 30KB) .
Hesley Group Schools and Colleges in Doncaster
Linkage Community Trust in Lincoln
Nisai Virtual Academy
Download the Nisai Virtual Academy leaflet (PDF 223.8KB) .
Prior’s Court School
Prior's Court School, in Berkshire, is an independent special school for children and young people aged 5 to 19 with autism, moderate to severe learning difficulties and complex needs.
The Children's Trust
Download The Children's Trust leaflet (PDF 189.9KB) .
The Mulberry Bush School in Witney, Oxfordshire
The Pace Centre in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Download The Pace Centre leaflet (PDF 239.3KB) .
TreeHouse School in East Finchley, North London
Download TreeHouse School leaflet (PDF 32.9KB) .
The SENAD Group has a portfolio of specialist schools and colleges throughout England and Wales. These offer academic and vocational programmes, therapy and expert care for young people between the ages of 5 and 19 years, with a range of special educational and complex care needs.
Jenny Fearn - Group Marketing Manager
Tel: 01332 378 840
Information about the individual schools' Local Offers can be found in the links below:
Alderwasley Hall School and Sixth Form Centre (PDF 2.3MB) - an Independent Specialist Day and Residential School for Young People aged 5 to 19 years with Asperger Syndrome, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Specific Language Disorders.
Pegasus School (PDF 2.2MB) - an Independent Specialist Day and Residential School for Young People aged 8 to 19 years with Severe Learning Disabilities, Autism and Associated Challenging Behaviour.
Bladon House School (PDF 3.3MB) - an Independent Specialist Day and Residential School for Young People aged 11 to 19 years with moderate to severe learning difficulties and challenging behaviour.
Rowden House School (PDF 3.3MB) - an Independent Specialist Day and Residential School for Young People aged 11 to 19 years with Severe Learning Difficulties and Challenging Behaviour.