What a school or early years provider can help with
Your early years provider or school will have a SEND Policy and its own SEND offer which should be published on its website. View list of schools and settings with a SEND offer.
All schools and providers will have a special educational needs coordinator (SENCo.)
The special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) will know a lot about your child and will be able to explain what help the school or provider is giving.
They will also be able to explain the different stages of special needs support you can access and tell you if there is anything you need to do. The school may also ask for advice from other professionals, if this is needed.
What does the SENCo do?
The SENCo must be a qualified teacher working at the school overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s special educational needs policy whilst co-ordinating provision for children with special educational needs.
They will also:
- liaise with the relevant designated teacher where a looked-after pupil has special educational needs
- advise on the graduated approach to providing special educational needs support
- advise on the deployment of the school's budget and other resources to meet pupils' needs effectively
- liaise with parents of pupils with special educational needs
- liaise with early years' providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies
- be a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the local authority and its support services
- liaise with potential next providers of education to ensure a pupil and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned
- work with the head teacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
- ensure that the school keeps the records of all pupils with special educational needs up to date
How your early years setting supports your child
Each early years setting has its own, unique, SEND offer. This outlines what it provides for children with additional needs.
View nursery schools with a SEND offer
View lower / primary schools with a SEND offer
For more information, please see our Directory of Schools or download our guides: