Educational psychology

Educational psychologist involvement

When does an educational psychologist become involved?

If, despite the support your child's school is providing, there are still concerns the school's special educational needs coordinator (SENCo), with your permission, may discuss their concerns with the school's assigned educational psychologist.

We provide educational psychologist involvement for children and young people who meet any of the following indicators:

  • ongoing complex and severe needs: children and young people who are highly likely to meet our criteria for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment
  • children and young people who are in the process of undergoing an EHC Needs Assessment
  • children and young people with existing Statements of SEN or EHC Plans, where there is continued concern, or a significant change in their needs or circumstances

Your child's school may wish to seek advice from an educational psychologist, even though the above indicators are not met. In this case, with your agreement, your child's needs would be discussed with the school’s assigned educational psychologist. If educational psychologist involvement is agreed to be appropriate at this time, the school can then commission and pay for the service.

In Central Bedfordshire, the Educational Psychology Service can only be requested by schools.

How does an educational psychologist become involved?

After speaking with their assigned educational psychologist, schools request a consultation. Only nurseries, schools and colleges can do this. They will share the content of the request with you and you will be asked to give your signed consent.

Please note: without your signed consent, the request will not proceed.

Contact us

Telephone: 0300 300 6400