Educational psychology

What is an educational psychologist?

An educational psychologist is someone trained to help children and young people (from 0 - 25) with their learning and development. All educational psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC.)

Why might an educational psychologist become involved with your child?

An educational psychologist is usually asked to provide support regarding a pupil at pre-school, school or college when they are believed to be struggling at school despite the support the school is providing. Pupils might be:

  • not making any progress in their learning
  • struggling to express themselves or understand what is going on in the classroom
  • finding it hard to make friends
  • having difficulty managing their feelings and behaviours
  • experiencing physical, sensory or health needs which are impacting on their development and education