Money, benefits and discounts | Central Bedfordshire Council

Money, benefits and discounts

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (link opens in new window) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

To make a claim

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim.

DWP - Personal Independence Payment claims

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You will be asked for your:

  • contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society details
  • doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you will need to be with them when they call.