Care and support | Central Bedfordshire Council

Care and support

If you think your child has a care need

As a parent or carer with a child or young person with special educational needs and/or disability, you may require extra support or assistance in accessing specialist services. Local authorities have a legal responsibility to help families with disabled children. Many children have additional needs and disabilities, and some are more severely affected than others. Some disabled children and their parents will need practical support both inside and outside the home.

This useful guide from Contact (link opens in new window) (charity for families with disabled children) explains how you can get help from social care services if your child has additional needs. The guide explains your right to get the support you need from us, through departments like social services, sometimes known as "children with disabilities teams", "children's" or "social care services". It also sets out how to access services, what to expect at an assessment, your needs as a carer plus many more topics.