Care and support | Central Bedfordshire Council

Care and support

Care services

Information about social care services that are available to you and your child/young person with special education needs and/or disability.

Children with Disabilities service

Our Children with Disabilities Service (link opens in new window) offers support to children with disabilities aged 0 to 18 and their families. The service comprises of a small specialist team of social workers and assistants who have relevant knowledge, experience and skills. We work closely with other services such as health, education and community organisations.

Central Bedfordshire Children's Services

We offer a range of services, including:

  • information on child protection
  • youth support service
  • childcare and early years
  • disability access fund
  • support for families and youth clubs

Looked after children (LAC) with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND)

All services and information outlined in our Local Offer are equally available to all children and young people, including those who are Looked After Children (LAC) with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND). There is some specific support for children and young people who are looked after, including additional funding that can be applied for via our Virtual School. Our Virtual School staff also liaise with other local authorities, support social workers and foster carers in applying for statutory assessments and work in partnership with other professionals and agencies to identify appropriate educational provision. For further information on the support services available to Looked after Children please see theĀ Central Bedfordshire Corporate Parenting webpage.

Adoption and fostering support

If you are considering fostering or adopting a child, or if you are currently a foster carer or an adopter you can access support, advice and information from our dedicated adoption and fostering services:

Central Bedfordshire Family Information Directory

Find local support services (link opens in new window) that are available to you and your child/young person through the Central Bedfordshire Family Information Directory. Using the search function, you can find clubs, groups and activities available to children with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND.)