Building control service

Building control - our service

Our building control service ensures that buildings are built in accordance with the building regulations and associated legislation. Building regulations are not the same as planning permission.

Reversion guidance

Where an approved inspector has cancelled an initial notice or can no longer provide a building control service for your project, the work reverts to our control.

We are aware of cases where building control bodies, known as an approved inspectors, are no longer able to undertake their function as a building control body. If you are affected by this, please contact us on 0300 300 8635 or email: to discuss:

  • your particular case
  • how to make a reversion application
  • our charges
  • information we will require from you and your former approved inspector

In these cases, the approved inspector is no longer able to inspect any building works or issue the required statutory notices to you and us, including any final or part final certificates. If an approved inspector is unable to carry out their functions, either they or the person carrying out the works must cancel the initial notice lodged with us. If work has already commenced on site, the work must, by law, be passed back to us to ensure compliance with the building regulations.

When work is ‘reverted’ to us in this way, you need to provide us with as much information as possible to help us to determine that any works undertaken to date comply with the relevant regulations.

We're obliged to levy a fee for work that is reverted to us, but this fee will be individually assessed based on the size of the project and the amount of time we anticipate we'll need to be satisfied of compliance with the building regulations. Any information you have about inspections undertaken so far, including building plans, structural calculations and any photographs of the work in progress, will also be of great assistance.

If we cannot ascertain compliance with particular parts of the work, we may have to ask for certain works to be uncovered for our inspection. We'll try to keep this to a minimum.

Reversion questions and answers

View questions and answers regarding reversion.

The benefits of local authority building control (LABC)

About building regulations

Building regulations are national standards for the design and construction of buildings, to ensure safety, energy conservation and access for people with disabilities. They apply to most building work, whether new, alterations, extensions or change of us.

Find out more about building regulations (including approved documents) on GOV.UK.

We work with you to help you get building regulations approval. We offer local knowledge, advice and assistance from design to completion and issue certifications to prove your project meets with building regulations when it is successfully completed.

For more information about building regulations see the Planning Portal building regulations (link opens in new window). You can also find out if you need to apply for planning permission.

Contact building control

What we do

We advise on building regulation compliance and check applications and plans.

When you make a building application we prepare an inspection service plan listing the stages where we need to visit to inspect work. We’ll make sure work is in line with building regulations, and advise you if you need to change anything. Please note an additional charge may be levied if extra visits become necessary due to unforeseen complications or excessive delays.

When your project is finished, we will make a final inspection and if everything meets standards, we’ll issue you with a completion certificate. This is essential to avoid problems with conveyancing, mortgages and home insurance.

Dangerous structures

Building control surveyors check reports of dangerous buildings and structures and may advise how to make the building safe. If the work is not done, we can take action against the owner or use emergency powers to make the building safe or demolish it, and recover the costs. If you know of a dangerous structure call us on 0300 300 8635 (0300 300 8098 - out of office hours).

However, if there is immediate threat to life, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please call 101.


If you intend to demolish a building, you must give us a minimum of 6 weeks notice. Please complete and return our Demolition Notice form (PDF 152.4KB) or advise us writing. Demolition may require planning permission.

Where you intend to demolish a large building or several buildings we will need to a copy of your method statement, and you should notify gas, drainage and power companies and occupiers of adjacent buildings.

For more information, go to the demolitions (link opens in new window) page on the Planning Portal.

Guides to converting your property

LABC Publishing has produced two publications:

These guides provide detailed information on converting or extending a range of commercial, agricultural and domestic properties.